Please note that much of the information on this page is unrepresentative of the service we are able to offer at this time. Due to Covid-19 we are operating a special service at the moment, more details of which can be found here. We thank you for your understanding.
If you’re about to make your first visit to our railways the range of journeys available to you might seem daunting, so here’s a brief guide to help you select your best journey option:
- The Festiniog Railway runs for 14 miles from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog.
- The return journey is approximately three hours.
- The Ffestiniog Railway is a great option if you have limited time available, or are travelling with kids.
- A Day Rover ticket allows you to jump on and off trains at your leisure.
- You can take time to explore Blaenau Ffestiniog, or break your journey at Tan y Bwlch (the half-way point on the journey) and enjoy the tea room, woodland walks and childrens play area.
- The Welsh Highland Railway runs for 26 miles from Porthmadog to Caernarfon.
- The full return journey is approximately six hours, however shorter trips (for example Porthmadog or Caernarfon – Beddgelert) are available.
- You will have time to explore your destination before boarding for the return journey.
- Food/drink and toilets are available on board the train.
- If you have young children, the Ffestiniog Railway or a shorter Welsh Highland Railway journey would be the preferred option.
- If you are less able, use the major stations which are fully accessible – Please check our access statement for specific details.
- Dogs are welcome on all trains, but in Third Class carriages only.
Our Booking Office staff will be happy to answer any further questions you may have, or provide more in-depth guidance. Please visit them in person or call 01766 516024.
We hope you enjoy your visit!