RSS / Social Networking
Bookmark and Share
Subscribe
What are these?

November 9th 2011
(Posted in: News)
Printer friendly page
Fourth Lord begins to take shape
Work on ex-Penrhyn Quarry Hunslet Hugh Napier's boiler has stepped up a gear as Boston Lodge engineers begin the assembly of the boiler, firebox and smokebox of the 107 year-old loco, owned by the National Trust.

After 50 years of hard work in Penrhyn Quarry, the 7.5 ton Hugh Napier was worn out and in 1954 it was dumped on a siding until it was given to Penrhyn Castle Industrial Railway Museum in 1966.

When F&WHR engineers have completed the task of restoring this historic locomotive to steam, it will become a roving ambassador for the National Trust, visiting other locations around the UK including the F&WHR where it will be used for light duties and on special occasions.

Hugh Napier was named after the fourth Lord Penrhyn, Hugh Napier Douglas-Pennant, who was actively involved in the community, as a magistrate and farmer, in politics and Eisteddfods and as a patron of the Penrhyn Male voice choir until his death in 1949.

 

100_1944.jpg
100_1945.jpg
100_1946.jpg
100_1947.jpg
100_1948.jpg
100_1949.jpg
100_1950.jpg
100_1951.jpg
100_1952.jpg
100_1953.jpg
100_1954.jpg
100_1955.jpg
100_1956.jpg
100_1957.jpg
100_1958.jpg
100_1959_bottle.jpg

Copyright 2015 - Festiniog Railway Co. | Privacy Policy