Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways

November 9th 2011

Fourth Lord begins to take shape

After 50 years of hard work in Penrhyn Quarry, the 7.5 ton Hugh Napier was worn out and in 1954 it was dumped on a siding until it was given to Penrhyn Castle Industrial Railway Museum in 1966.

When F&WHR engineers have completed the task of restoring this historic locomotive to steam, it will become a roving ambassador for the National Trust, visiting other locations around the UK including the F&WHR where it will be used for light duties and on special occasions.

Hugh Napier was named after the fourth Lord Penrhyn, Hugh Napier Douglas-Pennant, who was actively involved in the community, as a magistrate and farmer, in politics and Eisteddfods and as a patron of the Penrhyn Male voice choir until his death in 1949.


© Copyright 2017 by Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways