Built by Cravens in 1892, the four-wheeled carriage is the sole survivor of the Met's 'Jubilee' stock and is hence of considerable historic value.
Boston Lodge won the bidding race to restore the carriage to pristine condition and the first stage in preparing for its arrival was widening the doors into the carriage shop to enable the 4'8½" gauge vehicle to gain entry.
The LT Museum was awarded first stage Heritage Lottery funding for the restoration in March with the aim of returning 353 to running order for the 150th anniversary celebrations of the London Underground in 2013. The Friends of the London Transport Museum have offered to contribute up to £150,000 towards the total project costs.
The project includes a related programme of heritage skills development in connection with the restoration.
"The underframe and body of Metropolitan Railway four wheeled carriage 353 has arrived at the Ffestiniog Railway engineering works at Boston Lodge for assessment," says London Transport Museum Curator Tim Shields.
"If funding is secured later this summer, the arrival now will give a head start for the restoration which must be finished for the celebrations in January 2013.”
The underframe was delivered to Minffordd Yard earlier this month and the bodywork - which has previously spent time as a garden shed in Shrivenham - was delivered by road to Llyn Bach car park in Porthmadog before being loaded onto a flat wagon for transport by rail across Britannia Bridge on its way to Boston Lodge.
More details of the carriage can be found here