Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways

July 12th 2011

Fourth Lord arrives on the FR


Hugh Napier was named after the fourth Lord Penrhyn, Hugh Napier Douglas-Pennant, who was actively involved in the community, as a magistrate and farmer, in politics and Eisteddfods and as a patron of the Penrhyn Male voice choir until his death in 1949.

After 50 years of hard work in Penrhyn Quarry, Hugh Napier was worn out and in 1954 it was dumped on a siding until it was given to Penrhyn Castle Industrial Railway Museum in 1966.

Now F&WHR engineers have taken on the task of restoring this historic locomotive to steam, after which it will become a roving ambassador for the National Trust, visiting other locations around the UK including the F&WHR where it will be used for light duties and on special occasions.

Hugh Napier weighs in at around 7.5 tons and in power terms fits neatly between other resident Hunslets Britomart and Lilla.

© Copyright 2018 by Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railways